Hot Pepper Bolognese
Recipe by Kelly Scott
- 1 onion minced
- 1 carrot minced
- 1 celery stalk minced
- 1 red bell pepper minced
- 1 jalapenos minced
- 1 head of garlic minced
- 2 Tb dried basil
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 container, or ½ cup Italian Hot pepper sauce, I get mine from trader joes trader joes, or can substitute for chipotle paste from canned chipotle peppers.
- Two 1 lb can of italian whole tomatoes (or 1.5 cans of 1 lb 12 oz cans)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Whole bunch of parsley
- Olive oil
- Pasta of choice
- Put a medium size pot over medium heat with olive oil. Saute your onion, carrots, celery, bell pepper, and jalapenos until translucent. Salt 1 tsp of salt as you go.
- Add your minced garlic and saute 2 minutes.
- Add your dried basil and saute another 2 minutes.
- In a separate saute pan saute your beef and pork until cooked through. Salt 1 tsp for each meat as you cook. Drain off the fat.
- Add your drained meat to your pot.
- Open your canned tomatoes and crush them into smaller pieces with your hands, add them and the liquid to the pot. Add your italian hot pepper sauce.
- Also add your whole cup of parsley, stems and all! This adds flavor, you will pull the parsley out at the end.
- Bring the mixture up to a simmer, add around 2 tsp of salt and mix. Once it is bubbling, let the bolognese simmer for 1 hour minimum! The longer it simmers the more flavor it develops!
- After an hour, taste and season if necessary, discard the parsley and enjoy!