- 3 zucchini’s sliced thinly lengthwise
- 28 oz can plum tomatoes, crushed
- 1/2 white onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups cashews
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ cup fresh basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt + black pepper
- ½ cup water
- Preheat oven to 375*F
- In a food processor, pulse cashews into a fine meal, scraping down the sides when needed. Add nutritional yeast, oil, lemon juice, oregano, basil, salt and pepper and combine. Slowly stream 1/2 cup water until creamy consistency is reached.
- In a small sauce pan on medium heat, sautée garlic and onion in 1 tsp olive oil until soft. Add in the can of crushed plum tomatoes. Let simmer for 25-30 minutes until sauce has thickened.
- In an 8x8 pan, layer a small amount of sauce, zucchini slices, and then top with cashew ricotta. Repeat the layers with the top layer being cashew ricotta.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Serve with fresh basil and vegan ricotta.